Forum Haiti : Des Idées et des Débats sur l'Avenir d'Haiti
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

FOROM AYITI : Tèt Ansanm Pou'n Chanje Ayiti.

AccueilAccueil  GalerieGalerie  PortailPortail  ÉvènementsÉvènements  PublicationsPublications  RechercherRechercher  S'enregistrerS'enregistrer  Connexion  
Le Deal du moment :
[CDAV] -25€ dès 249€ d’achat ...
Voir le deal

LEKOL KOMINOTE MATENWA

AuteurMessage
jafrikayiti
Super Star
Super Star

Masculin

Feuille de personnage
Jeu de rôle: Bon neg guinen

LEKOL KOMINOTE MATENWA Empty
MessageSujet: LEKOL KOMINOTE MATENWA   LEKOL KOMINOTE MATENWA EmptyVen 7 Sep 2012 - 0:35

LEKOL KOMINOTE MATENWA Pwofes11
Ottawa, September 6, 2012

This Summer, I joined several family members, including my 12 year old son and my 7 year old daughter for an eventful trip to our native Haiti.

Oh, what wonderful moments did we share with long lost cousins in the mountain community of Bigonet, Leogane, where the goats surely outnumber MINUSTAH soldiers!

In Bigonet, I reckon, the worst type of "insecurity" that could disturb one's sleep are the busy feet of pigeons on the house tin roof or some not-so-melodious marengwen trying to pierce through mosquito nets.

The excitement of meeting newly found family members, including one 112 year-old elder who still goes around on her donkey and helps deliver babies, was amplified by other special encounters that occured prior to landing at Toussaint Louverture Airport on that blessed afternoon of July 4, 2012.

Somehow, the trip to Bigonet was meant to be connected with another one, my first ever visit to the island of Lagonav. It was a new friend of mine, author Ruth-Anne Olson who unknowingly made the connection. One of Ruth-Anne articles which was published on the Corbettlist several months ago caught my attention because it contained the word Bigonet in its title. I was naturally interested in what this lady from Minneapolis had to say about my father's native village. I will have to save for later the description of the many layers of connection between Minneapolis, Bigonet, Lagonav, Religion, Education, Genealogy, the Saint-Vil family, History, Ruth-Anne and I etc... Suffice it to say that years earlier, Ruth-Anne Olson also wrote a book about the people of Lagonav.

It is this beautiful multilingual book that is featured in the Youtube Video "Valencia of Matenwa, Lagonav, Ayiti" which I have chosen to introduce this multi-part report for my July 2012 travels in the Republic of Haiti.

In this first segment, I invite you to meet a young soccer player named Valencia whose story came to me before I ever had the pleasure of meeting her in person (watch the 3 min 40s video to understand how).

At Lekol Kominote Matènwa (LKM), the kids are among the luckiest of Haiti. They get to perfect their reading skills with books that tell the stories of their own village heroes, in their mother tongue. They enjoy playing and learning in a beautiful building that one of their own, Bos Holand Rivière, built for his community, nearly a decade ago.

It was Summer vacation when I visited Matènwa. Yet, teachers and students were all too happy to turn on the laptop computers to practice Math in Haitian Creole (more video footage of this special experience to come in future segments) or to practice their carpentry skills in between two soccer games and a hot meal.

Do you know Michel Degraff, I asked? The young girl responded with a wide smile while proudly pointing to a bald man in a group picture posted in the computer room. What else did she say to me? Please, check out the next segment on the Jafrikayiti youtube channel:

Revenir en haut Aller en bas
jafrikayiti
Super Star
Super Star

Masculin

Feuille de personnage

MessageSujet: Re: LEKOL KOMINOTE MATENWA   LEKOL KOMINOTE MATENWA EmptySam 8 Sep 2012 - 0:41

In this segment, I invite you to meet young students and their teachers at Lekol Kominote Matènwa (LKM), Lagonav, Haiti. Matematik Koupdimonn is an interactive game used to teach basic math skills to kids. It was developed at MIT, thanks to the visionary work of Professor Michel Degraff. Indeed, the name of this Haitian-American professor is well known in Matènwa.

Enjoy this as well as the other segments of my Summer 2012 trip to Haiti video report, on the Jafrikayiti youtube channel:

jafrikayiti
Super Star
Super Star

Masculin

Feuille de personnage

MessageSujet: Re: LEKOL KOMINOTE MATENWA   LEKOL KOMINOTE MATENWA EmptySam 8 Sep 2012 - 15:38

“I love math” says the young girl with the brightest smile on the island. She also loves other subjects such as French, Social Universe and Haitian History.

The kids at Matènwa are very respectful. While some may look shy, at first, they are all in fact very good and enthusiastic communicators. Unfortunately, I did not record my early morning conversations with 3 year-old Ghandi who claims to also own a donkey named “Maten”, just like Griyo Jafrikayiti's famous compagnon.

In this second Youtube Video titled “Matematik Koupdimonn”, Miss Samila Edmond who teaches 3rd grade at LKM, explains how the interactive Math game was introduced to LKM 4th graders, in January 2011. The pilot program has been so successful that kids from all grades, even a few arriving from neighbouring schools and communities, show up early each morning at the LKM computer room, for a chance to practice their Math skills.

The kids of Matènwa speak of their community with great pride and joy. The mention by name of a teacher, a school administrator, a cook, a soccer coach brings large smiles to their faces. My daughter’s instant best friend spoke of MIT Professor Michel Degraff, as if speaking of another best friend. Yet, she concedes that her class was not part of the Chanpyona Matematik (Math Championship) pilot program. She simply remembers (by name) this tall, bald man, in the green t-shirt, as the one who brought this wonderful computer game to her school.

Miss Samila Edmond tells us the program received an informal evaluation by the marked improvements that grade 5 teachers report observing in kids who benefitted from the 2011 pilot program.

In the final segment of the video, the two young boys who gave a live, unscripted, demonstration of Matematik Koupdimonn also offered a glimpse of what makes Matènwa such a special place. Observing the difference in skills between the two, I said to the older kid “are you a better player than him?”, smiling, and moving even closer to his junior friend, the boy replies: “we both have a lot of fun together”

Thank you beautiful people of Matènwa for these precious memories! Respè! Anpil respè pou nou!

In the next segments, we shall meet, among others, Mèt Abner Sauveur, a beloved local community organizer, who had more than a little to do with the genesis of LKM.

Stay tuned.....

Dernière édition par jafrikayiti le Sam 8 Sep 2012 - 15:47, édité 1 fois
Amoph
Star
Star

Masculin

MessageSujet: Re: LEKOL KOMINOTE MATENWA   LEKOL KOMINOTE MATENWA EmptySam 8 Sep 2012 - 15:40

JAF,

2 repOtaj ou yo trè touchan.

Dotan pi touchan, Gros Roseau te travay "La Gonâve" nan SNEM lè zane swasant, li konnen tout lokalite ki fome Zîl la.

Mesaj li konn delivre nou : "La Gonâve", li te toujou ap mache avèk kOb nan pOch li men li pat konn jwenn anyen pou li achte. Li te konn swaf, menm dlo li pat kapab jwenn pou li bwè.

Pou li, otorite yo te abandone zOn nan e tout ti moun yo te livre a yo menm.

RepOtaj ou yo konfime sa Gros Roseau tap bat pou li fè nou konprann depi dè zane.

Mèsi anpil, yon gro tonton mèsi tou, a tout gran moun yo ki byen ankadre ti moun sa yo.

Amoph
jafrikayiti
Super Star
Super Star

Masculin

Feuille de personnage

MessageSujet: Re: LEKOL KOMINOTE MATENWA   LEKOL KOMINOTE MATENWA EmptySam 8 Sep 2012 - 15:52

Mèsi anpil Amoph,

Monchè, se pa ni 2, ni 3 moun serye mwen pa rankontre nan peyi a ki enspire nou espwa. Mwen espere jwenn ase tan pou kontinye fè ti repotaj konsa pou pataje ak nou. Mo ankourajman ou yo ede nou anpil!

Respè!
jafrikayiti
Super Star
Super Star

Masculin

Feuille de personnage

MessageSujet: Re: LEKOL KOMINOTE MATENWA   LEKOL KOMINOTE MATENWA EmptyDim 9 Sep 2012 - 11:25

ADDENDUM:

Michel Degraff brought the following to my attention:

Citation :
"Mwen gen yon ti koreksyon pou wou---pou mwen pa pran kredi ki dwe al jwenn kolaboratè mwen yo... Nan MIT, mwen te devlope vèsyon an kreyòl la. Men, nou te sèvi ak yon jwèt ki te deja devlope nan http://www.mathplayground.com

Se ak anpil kolaborasyon nou te rive kreye tout aktivite an kreyòl sa yo. Lòt moun ki te ede nou pwodui aktivite sa yo an kreyòl se: http://nlvm.usu.edu/en/nav/siteinfo.html
http://www.xpmath.com/
http://www.mrnussbaum.com/about.htm

Ou ka wè sa mwen te ekri sou kolaborasyon ak Mr. Nussbaum: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU4NuFcK8D0

Rèv mwen, se te pou mwen te jwenn pwogramè Ayisyen ki te ka ekri jwèt ki baze sou sa nou konnen ann Ayiti (marèl, kay, elatriye). Men, mwen pa te rive jwenn sa. N ap chache toujou. Ankouraje, -michel".

English translation by Jafrikayiti:

"I have a correction to bring to your attention - so I take not credit that should go to my collaborators... At MIT, I had developed the Kreyol version. However, we used a game that was already developed at http://www.mathplayground.com

It took a lot of collaborative efforts to create all these Kreyol language activities. Among those who helped us produce these Kreyol language activities, there are: http://nlvm.usu.edu/en/nav/siteinfo.html
http://www.xpmath.com/
http://www.mrnussbaum.com/about.htm
Here, you can see what I wrote about the collaboration with Mr. Nussbaum:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU4NuFcK8D0

My vision was to find Haitian programmers who could write games that are based on those practiced in Haiti (marèl, kay, etc...). But, I did not find them. We are still searching. Solid, -michel".

jafrikayiti
Super Star
Super Star

Masculin

Feuille de personnage

MessageSujet: Re: LEKOL KOMINOTE MATENWA   LEKOL KOMINOTE MATENWA EmptySam 29 Sep 2012 - 23:20

jafrikayiti
Super Star
Super Star

Masculin

Feuille de personnage

MessageSujet: Re: LEKOL KOMINOTE MATENWA   LEKOL KOMINOTE MATENWA EmptyJeu 31 Oct 2013 - 22:33

Gen eksperyans etranje ki ka itil nou, gen eksperyans lakay ki ka itil nou. Sitou, mwen kwè li lè li tan pou nou sispann pran ekzanp nan menm direksyon nou te abitye gade yo, ki bannou rezilta n ap obsève kounye a. Planèt la pa yon geto ewosantriik....

jafrikayiti
Super Star
Super Star

Masculin

Feuille de personnage

MessageSujet: Re: LEKOL KOMINOTE MATENWA   LEKOL KOMINOTE MATENWA EmptyJeu 31 Oct 2013 - 22:42

CHILDREN FULL OF LIFE

Contenu sponsorisé

MessageSujet: Re: LEKOL KOMINOTE MATENWA   LEKOL KOMINOTE MATENWA Empty

LEKOL KOMINOTE MATENWA
Page 1 sur 1