Forum Haiti : Des Idées et des Débats sur l'Avenir d'Haiti
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

FOROM AYITI : Tèt Ansanm Pou'n Chanje Ayiti.

AccueilAccueil  GalerieGalerie  PortailPortail  ÉvènementsÉvènements  PublicationsPublications  RechercherRechercher  S'enregistrerS'enregistrer  Connexion  

Haiti’s René Préval says UN tried to remove him

AuteurMessage
jafrikayiti
Super Star
Super Star

Masculin

Feuille de personnage
Jeu de rôle: Bon neg guinen

Haiti’s René Préval says UN tried to remove him Empty
MessageSujet: Haiti’s René Préval says UN tried to remove him   Haiti’s René Préval says UN tried to remove him EmptyLun 13 Mai 2013 - 23:29

Edmond Mulet, former head of the UN mission in Haiti, denies allegations made by past president René Préval in documentary Fatal Assistance.

By: Catherine Porter Columnist, Published on Mon May 13 2013

In yet another twist in the Rubik’s cube of Haitian politics, the country’s past president, René Préval, says the United Nations tried to remove him from the country before his term was over.

In a recently released documentary, Préval says the former head of the UN mission in Haiti called him on the day of the internationally sponsored elections in November 2010, to say “political problems” required the president to leave.

“I got a phone call from Mr. (Edmond) Mulet, who was head of MINUSTAH, saying: ‘Mr. President, this is a political problem. We need to get you on a plane and evacuate you,’” Préval says in the documentary, Fatal Assistance. “I said: ‘Bring your plane, collect me from the palace, handcuff me, everyone will see that it’s a kidnapping.’”

The UN has been in Haiti for nine years on a “stabilization” mission to promote democracy, strengthen Haiti’s institutions and protect human rights. It sponsored the 2010 elections, along with international donors including the United States and Canada, which came 10 months after an earthquake left 1.5 million in makeshift refugee camps.

At the time, Mulet said the election was important to create political stability so the country’s reconstruction could start in earnest. The election had already been delayed since February and civil unrest over Préval’s perceived inaction was mounting. To add to the turmoil, the country was panicked about the recent outbreak of deadly cholera, and already the word was that UN peacekeeping soldiers from Nepal had brought the disease.

That first round of elections in November was marred by fraud and rioting. The polls had only been open for a few hours when 12 of the 18 presidential candidates held a press conference to denounce the vote as a massive fraud orchestrated by Préval’s Inite (Unity) party.

“I never said that, he never answered that,” Mulet told the Star when asked about Préval’s allegation. “I was worried if he didn’t stop the fraud and rioting, a revolution would force him to leave. I didn’t have the capability, the power or the interest of putting him on a plane.”

Foreign powers, notably the United States, have a long record of meddling with Haitian politics. The country was occupied for 19 years by American marines, ending in 1934. More recently, an American plane whisked away dictator Jean-Claude Duvalier during the popular uprising of 1986 and, 18 years later, president Jean-Bertrand Aristide, who was facing a coup. Afterward, Aristide called his evacuation a “kidnapping.”

“You have a bunch of ambassadors who feel they are governors of Haiti,” Fatal Assistance director Raoul Peck said in an interview. “They are the ones crafting politics in Haiti. They are the ones creating government there. We have a long history of this. They’d rather have a dictator, if he’s our man and we can control the country.”

Peck, it should be noted, was Haiti’s culture minister for two years during Préval’s first government in the late 1990s. His documentary is a searing condemnation of interference in Haiti by donor countries.

It contains a number of bombshells, including another accusation by Préval: that the elections were rigged by the United Nations and the United States.

The elections were messy. After the initial November vote, the Haitian electoral council (CEP) proclaimed the top two finishers for the next round of voting: Mirlande Manigat and Jude Celestin, Préval’s handpicked successor. The result was rioting in the streets. A month later, a group of monitors from the Organization of American States contradicted the CEP’s counts, replacing Celestin with Michel Martelly, the eventual winner. After that, Préval says he called Mulet to his office.

“I summoned him to come: ‘Problem solved?’ He said: ‘No, it isn’t. If the OAS isn’t in line with the American mission’s recommendations we won’t accept the election results,’” Préval says in documentary.

“I told him whatever candidate wins, wins. And he replied that they wouldn’t accept those results. I asked: ‘So why hold elections?’”

It’s not clear in the documentary what the American mission’s recommendations were, although the embassy did openly dismiss the CEP’s findings.

Mulet, who is now based in New York as assistant secretary general of peacekeeping operations for the United Nations, categorically dismissed Préval’s accusations.

“It was the other way around. We were talking to him, asking ‘Why carry out elections if in the end the president is elected through fraudulent ways?’”

Mulet has not yet seen Fatal Assistance. “But it seems Raoul Peck couldn’t escape the Haitian curse of ‘Pas fault moi,’” he said, a term that means “it’s not my fault.”

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2013/05/13/haitis_ren_prval_says_un_tried_to_remove_him.html
Revenir en haut Aller en bas
jafrikayiti
Super Star
Super Star

Masculin

Feuille de personnage
Jeu de rôle: Bon neg guinen

MessageSujet: Re: Haiti’s René Préval says UN tried to remove him   Haiti’s René Préval says UN tried to remove him EmptyLun 13 Mai 2013 - 23:36

Haiti - An international crime scene featuring three-piece suit bandits and diplomatic skinheads

Fact is Preval has chosen to speak up rather late. As expected, Mulet is lying through his teeth, denying the events occurred. However, let us remember that the attempted kidnapping of Preval, as they did Aristide a few years earlier, was first divulged more than 2 years ago by former OAS official Ricardo Seitenfus (fired since):

Citation :
" on November 28, the day of the elections, there was discussion in a meeting of the Core Group (donor countries, OAS and the United Nations) of something that seemed to me simply frightening. Some representatives suggested that President René Préval should leave the country and that we should think about an airplane for that purpose. I heard that and I was horrified. The prime minister of Haiti, Jean–Max Bellerive, arrived and immediately said not to count on him for any solution outside the constitution and he asked if President Préval’s mandate was being negotiated. And there was silence in the room. Beside me was Albert Ramdin, adjunct secretary of the OAS, so I could not speak because the OAS was being represented by him. But faced with his silence and that of the others, I asked to be able to speak and reminded them of the existence of the Inter-American Democratic Charter [of the OAS] and that I thought any discussion of President Préval’s mandate would be a coup. I was very surprised by the fact that the adjunct secretary of the OAS remained silent in the face of the possiblity of shortening the term of a legitimately elected president...".
http://www.canadahaitiaction.ca/content/further-interview-brazilian-diplomat-ricardo-seitenfus
Sasaye
Super Star
Super Star
Sasaye

Masculin
Opinion politique : Indépendance totale
Loisirs : Arts et Musique, Pale Ayisien

Feuille de personnage
Jeu de rôle: Maestro

MessageSujet: Re: Haiti’s René Préval says UN tried to remove him   Haiti’s René Préval says UN tried to remove him EmptyMar 14 Mai 2013 - 9:52

Wi se pou Milet lan demanti Setenfis tou.
Se pou l bay rezon Prezidan Preval te leve kite sal la le Klinton ta pral pale.
Epitou poukisa oken jounal pa t rapote ensidan saa ki yon gwo ensilt entenasyonal, ki montre ke Preval gen grenn.
Joel
Super Star
Super Star

Masculin
Loisirs : Histoire

Feuille de personnage
Jeu de rôle: Le patriote

MessageSujet: Re: Haiti’s René Préval says UN tried to remove him   Haiti’s René Préval says UN tried to remove him EmptyMer 15 Mai 2013 - 20:25

Mwen kondane PREVAL sou anpil PWEN men gen de bagay se pou bali kredi wi.

SPRAGUE di ke lè AMERIKEN yo te debake e yo te al dèyè GUY PHILIPPE e yo te pati san li;PREVAL te move kon kong.
Misye te vle yo ale ak PHILIPPE ,men AMERIKEN yo te gen pwòp zafè yo ,yo t ap reglel;ale ak PHILIPPE pa t youn ladan yo!
jackoti01
Star
Star

Masculin

Feuille de personnage
Jeu de rôle: Le jacmelien

MessageSujet: Re: Haiti’s René Préval says UN tried to remove him   Haiti’s René Préval says UN tried to remove him EmptyMer 15 Mai 2013 - 23:42

Sasaye a écrit:

Wi se pou Milet lan demanti Setenfis tou.
Se pou l bay rezon Prezidan Preval te leve kite sal la le Klinton ta pral pale.
Epitou poukisa oken jounal pa t rapote ensidan saa ki yon gwo ensilt entenasyonal, ki montre ke Preval gen grenn.

Sasaye
se blag. Pou kisa se kounye ya Preval di sa? Aloske tout moun te sispek sa. Sil te gen grenn li pa tap pran lod pou chanje rezilta eleksyon an.
Se Preval pou ki te di men pou kisa li te kite sal la. E le sa fok li te di sa pandan li te sou pouvwa.

Preval gen grenn vre le li retire lavalas nan eleksyon. men li pat gen grenn poul te kite mateli deyo.

Sasaye mwen renmen enfomasyon ou yo men pafwa pa fe komante ki pa kanpe sou anyen. Fre paran tap di le preval te leve a se folklo li tap fe. Li ta ka di se pipi ki kenbel.
Si yo te kidnape Aristid se pa preval yo pa taka kidnape. Banm van poum al lagonav.
Sasaye
Super Star
Super Star
Sasaye

Masculin
Opinion politique : Indépendance totale
Loisirs : Arts et Musique, Pale Ayisien

Feuille de personnage
Jeu de rôle: Maestro

MessageSujet: Re: Haiti’s René Préval says UN tried to remove him   Haiti’s René Préval says UN tried to remove him EmptyVen 17 Mai 2013 - 0:20

Jakoti,
W al two vit.
Remak mwen yo toujou kanpe sou obsèvasyon avèk rechèch.
Lan ka saa yo kanpe sou fim Asistans Fatal Rawoul Pèk lan.
Se pa Preval ki di anyen twô ta.

Gade fim nan wa wè lè l leve pandan Klinton te pare pou l pale.
Gen anpil politisyen ki ta kenbe pipi yo men yo pa t ap deplase lè blan an ap pale.
Sa m wè, li te komanse rejimbe apre eleksyon an lè l rele Milèt lan pou l mande l si pwoblèm nan fini.

Kimoun ki ta kapab fè temwyaj postskriptoum pandan li opouvwa toujou?
Contenu sponsorisé

MessageSujet: Re: Haiti’s René Préval says UN tried to remove him   Haiti’s René Préval says UN tried to remove him Empty

Page 1 sur 1